Trump tries a new approach in Iran war: Disengage
After weeks of attempting to coax favorable outcomes from Tehran through sheer force of will, President Donald Trump appeared to pivot course on Tuesday. A US
Table of Contents
Trump Orders a Freeze on Iran Talks as War Strategy Pivots
Qwenews.com – After weeks of attempting to coax favorable outcomes from Tehran through sheer force of will, President Donald Trump appeared to pivot course on Tuesday. A US official confirmed that the president instructed his senior negotiating team to cease all conversations with Iran. The move marks a sharp departure from the administration’s earlier posture of relentless pressure.
From Hammer to Strangle
White House officials have recently briefed political allies on a recalibrated strategy: rather than seeking an immediate, overwhelming blow against Iran, the goal is now to apply sustained pressure over time, effectively squeezing the regime until it capitulates. The shift was described by a source familiar with internal deliberations as a move from “hammer Iran ASAP” to “strangle them.”
Trump’s public messaging reinforced the break. Where he had previously insisted that negotiations were progressing smoothly and that a fresh agreement was imminent — claims repeated since the June ceasefire collapsed — he now declared that no diplomacy of any kind was taking place.
“There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran,” he wrote on social media. “The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect. The Hormuz Strait is open and operating. All water mines have been removed or detonated. Thank you for your attention to this matter!”
The reality on the water tells a different story. Transit through the Strait of Hormuz remains minimal, and vessels attempting to pass through the critical waterway continue to face fire from Iranian projectiles. Still, growing frustration over stalled efforts to reopen the channel — combined with intensifying scrutiny over the toll the unpopular conflict has exacted on US military forces — appears to have pushed Trump toward placing the war at a distance.
Kushner’s Optimism Meets Tehran’s Denial
Officials said the instruction to stand down came after what they characterized as some “positive discussions” with the Iranian side. Yet Trump remained dissatisfied with Tehran’s refusal to yield to his demands, and he intends to wait until Iranian leaders demonstrate renewed willingness to accept the terms he envisions before reopening contact.
The day before his social media post, Jared Kushner painted a markedly rosier picture during a Middle East trip. Speaking on Fox News, he described US-Iran conversations as “probably more robust” than at any prior point, noting that the American team was in dialogue with multiple figures inside the regime.
“They’re engaging in a very strong way and that’s quite positive,” he said, adding: “We are having very positive and active conversations.”
Iranian officials, meanwhile, have repeatedly insisted that no direct talks with Washington are occurring. Trump had earlier lashed out at those denials, accusing Tehran of playing games while claiming its officials were eager to close a deal in more private settings.
The Oman Complication
Behind the public exchanges, another friction point has deepened: the shape of an arrangement Iran is pursuing with Oman to manage traffic through the Strait of Hormuz. Both nations hold coastlines along the waterway, and the deal, as outlined by regional officials, would assign each country authority over vessels entering and exiting the Persian Gulf.
Trump has grown openly hostile to the emerging framework. This week he threatened to bomb the Gulf state, despite decades of strategic partnership between Washington and Muscat.
“I don’t think they behaved very well, but we’d handle them very easily — just like we do others,” he told reporters in the Oval Office on Monday.
Inside the White House, concern persists that the unfinalized plan could entrench Iranian dominance over the waterway. Some officials believe Oman has tilted toward Tehran’s interests in the negotiations rather than serving as a neutral intermediary.
No Tolls, No Precedent
Among the specific proposals Trump and senior US officials reject: the collection of fees from vessels seeking to transit the strait. Trump has insisted that no tolls or ancillary payments of any kind are permissible. Yet circulating versions of the Oman-Iran arrangement have included charges framed as environmental-protection or security levies.
That is not the model Trump envisions. He wants a settlement that fully restores the passageway to its prewar condition, with unrestricted traffic flowing through the international waterway. His administration has repeatedly warned that permitting any single nation to assert control over the strait would establish a dangerous precedent.
Restoring safe transit through the strait has become the war’s central operational challenge, even though Trump claimed this week that his paramount objective remains preventing Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons.
Related Reading
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Trump tries a new approach in Iran?
Trump tries a new approach in Iran is the main topic of this guide. The article explains the context, practical details, and next steps readers should understand.
Why does Trump tries a new approach in Iran matter?
Trump tries a new approach in Iran matters because readers are looking for a useful answer, not just a short summary. Good content should match search intent and help them decide what to do next.
