Qwenews
Fast mobile article powered by Nexiamath-SEO AMP.
AMP Article

Judge will consider new trial for Karmelo Anthony in Texas track meet killing

Published August 20, 2026 · Updated August 20, 2026 · By James Wilson - qwenews.com

Foto : James Wilson - qwenews.com

Karmelo Anthony's Retrial Motion Heads to a New Judge

Qwenews.com – A state court judge is set to weigh whether Texas teenager Karmelo Anthony will receive a second trial after being convicted of murdering a fellow 17-year-old athlete at a high school track meet earlier this summer. Anthony, now 19, received a 35-year prison sentence for the stabbing death of Austin Metcalf.

The hearing on Wednesday was heard by Judge Michael Chitty, who was assigned to the case after the original trial judge was removed. Anthony appeared in a green prison jumpsuit, with both his parents and the Metcalf family present in the courtroom.

Why the Original Judge Was Removed

Anthony's legal team had petitioned for the removal of State District Judge John Roach, citing remarks the judge made to a Dallas television station after the trial concluded. That interview was played aloud as the recusal hearing opened.

When asked whether the jury had rendered the correct verdict, Roach responded:

"Yeah, they did."

He followed up with:

"Whatever they say, they got it right."

In the same interview, Roach defended the strict rules he had enforced in his courtroom and commented on the wave of online commentary surrounding the case.

Grounds for the Retrial Request

Anthony's attorneys contend that the June proceedings were compromised by overly rigid courtroom procedures and flawed jury instructions. They further argued that Anthony's choice to remain silent on the witness stand resulted from a breakdown in a prior agreement with prosecutors, which had called for the trial to center on the sequence of events preceding the stabbing.

The jury ultimately rejected Anthony's assertion that he acted in self-defense during a confrontation with Metcalf in the stadium bleachers the previous year.

The Confrontation

Multiple schools were competing at the track event when Anthony was seated beneath the Memorial High School tent, positioned in the bleachers. Witnesses described a heated exchange on a rainy spring day, triggered by Anthony's refusal to vacate the tent, which belonged to Metcalf's team. Metcalf and others repeatedly urged Anthony to leave, according to testimony, and the situation escalated.

Prosecutors maintained that Anthony provoked Metcalf, and witnesses characterized him as the aggressor. At one point, Anthony reached into a bag and told Metcalf, per a police report:

"Touch me and see what happens."

Witnesses said Metcalf then pushed Anthony, after which Anthony drew a knife and stabbed him in the chest.

National Attention and Racial Dimensions

The case drew widespread national scrutiny, fueled in large part by a surge of social media posts that framed the killing in racial terms. Anthony is Black; Metcalf was white. Nevertheless, attorneys representing both sides instructed jurors that the tragedy bore no connection to race.

As public attention intensified last year, both families reported being subjected to harassment.

Related Reading

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Judge will consider new trial for Karmelo?

Judge will consider new trial for Karmelo is the main topic of this guide. The article explains the context, practical details, and next steps readers should understand.

Why does Judge will consider new trial for Karmelo matter?

Judge will consider new trial for Karmelo matters because readers are looking for a useful answer, not just a short summary. Good content should match search intent and help them decide what to do next.