Qwenews
Fast mobile article powered by Nexiamath-SEO AMP.
AMP Article

Meta is back in the courtroom to face its biggest social media addiction trial yet

Published August 19, 2026 · Updated August 19, 2026 · By Barbara Wilson - qwenews.com

Foto : Barbara Wilson - qwenews.com

Meta Is Back in the Courtroom for a Landmark Addiction Trial

Qwenews.com – Meta is back in the courtroom, and this time the stakes are unprecedented. Federal judges in Oakland, California, heard opening arguments Tuesday in a sweeping lawsuit alleging that the company deliberately engineered its social platforms to hook young users in compulsive scrolling loops while minimizing the resulting mental-health damage. Filed in 2023 by a coalition of 29 state attorneys general, the suit targets recommendation algorithms, infinite-scroll feeds, reaction buttons, and push-notification systems that prosecutors say were tuned to maximize minutes spent on the app.

The Prosecution's Core Theory

Megan O'Neill, a deputy attorney general in the California Department of Justice, led the states' opening by painting a picture of a business model built on harvesting attention and personal data from minors. She alleged that Meta gathered information from users under age 13 without parental consent, violating the federal Children Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), and that internal research documented frequent "bad, even traumatic experiences" among young users even as the company publicly assured parents the platforms were safe.

"Meta needed kids, and it needed to reassure the people who cared about them that their kids were safe," O'Neill told the court. So Meta "told the media, it told Congress, it told its users, it told parents, that Instagram and Facebook were safe for kids, that it prioritized kids' safety and well-being."

The states intend to place Meta executives on the witness stand, including chief executive Mark Zuckerberg, to examine what leadership knew about teen risks and when that knowledge was acted upon.

A Whistleblower Puts a Face to the Claims

The first witness called by the coalition was Arturo Béjar, a former Facebook engineering director who later became a public whistleblower. Béjar recounted his own struggle, even while working inside the company's safety division, to keep his teenage daughter from inappropriate content and stranger solicitations on Instagram. He further testified that Meta routinely prioritized speed-to-market over user-safety safeguards.

What Is at Stake Financially and Regulatorily

The four states presenting their case — California, Colorado, Kentucky, and New Jersey — are pursuing up to $1.4 trillion in damages, a sum that approaches Meta's full market capitalization. Beyond the monetary figure, the coalition seeks a court order mandating structural changes to how the platforms operate on a daily basis.

Meta has already lost two comparable suits and accumulated just under $1 billion in awarded damages. Thousands of additional individual actions against Meta, Snap, TikTok, and YouTube remain pending in courts across the country.

"Meta designed a dangerous product for young users, knew it to be dangerous, and then lied to children, families, and the community about how dangerous it was," California Attorney General Rob Bonta said in a statement last week. "We are ready to hold Meta accountable for its role in fueling the mental health crisis of American children and look forward to trial."

The company, for its part, called the allegations "unsubstantiated" and the proposed penalty "vastly disproportionate." A Meta spokesperson said Monday that the attorneys general "offer no proof anyone in their states was misled" and are attempting to penalize the firm for industry-wide challenges such as age verification, rather than "sticking to the facts or the law."

Analysts following the Oakland proceedings frame the trial as a potential bellwether: a ruling could cascade into similar actions across the social-media industry and fundamentally reshape how platforms are designed, marketed, and regulated for younger audiences.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where and when is the trial taking place? The case is being heard before a federal judge in Oakland, California. Opening arguments began Tuesday, with witness testimony expected to follow over subsequent weeks.

How much money are the states seeking? The four presenting states — California, Colorado, Kentucky, and New Jersey — are requesting up to $1.4 trillion in damages, along with an injunction requiring operational changes to Meta's platforms.

What does Meta say about the lawsuit? Meta has called the claims "unsubstantiated" and the financial ask "vastly disproportionate," arguing that the states have not demonstrated that residents were actually misled and that the suit targets ordinary industry practices rather than company-specific misconduct.

Could this trial affect other social-media companies? Legal analysts describe the outcome as a potential bellwether. Thousands of parallel individual suits against Meta, Snap, TikTok, and YouTube are already pending, and a ruling here could accelerate or shape those proceedings.

Related Reading