Thieves steal 4 Renaissance artworks from Sicilian museum during an Italian holiday
Thieves steal 4 Renaissance artworks from the MuMe museum in Messina, Sicily, in a break-in that has stunned the Italian art world. On the evening of
Table of Contents
Thieves Steal 4 Renaissance Artworks from Sicilian Museum
Qwenews.com – Thieves steal 4 Renaissance artworks from the MuMe museum in Messina, Sicily, in a break-in that has stunned the Italian art world. On the evening of Saturday, shortly before 10 p.m., intruders bypassed both alarm and security systems and removed four paintings attributed to the Renaissance master Antonello da Messina. Cultural authorities and Italian press confirmed the theft on Sunday, noting it occurred during the Ferragosto holiday period when many staff and visitors are away.
What Was Taken from the MuMe Museum
The stolen pieces include three of the five surviving panels from the San Gregorio Polyptych, a work dated to 1473, along with a double-sided panel depicting the Virgin Mary cradling the lifeless Christ in a Pietà composition. According to the Italian news agency LaPresse, the latter panel had been pulled free from an armored display case, suggesting the thieves possessed specific knowledge of the gallery layout and the security protocols in place.
Reactions from Museum Directors and City Officials
“We are devastated by what happened. They were two of Antonello da Messina’s most important and best-known works. It is a tremendous loss for the museum, the city, the community and the art world,” MuMe director Marisa Mercurio told the ANSA news agency.
Mercurio stressed that the panels sit at the heart of the region’s cultural identity. Speaking to Sky TG24, she added:
“These are not merely works by Antonello da Messina. They are works that hold considerable significance in terms of our identity, as well as, of course, their artistic and cultural value, because they are works by our very own Antonello da Messina.”
Enzo Caruso, Messina’s senior culture official, called the incident “more than a loss” and “a disaster.” Addressing Sky, he urged authorities to recover the panels swiftly:
“Messina without Antonello is deprived of the very essence of the greatest artist of the European Renaissance.”
Why Recovery May Prove Difficult
Caruso noted that global fascination with the painter had intensified since Italy’s Culture Ministry completed negotiations with Sotheby’s in New York earlier this year, acquiring Antonello’s devotional image “Ecce Homo” for $14.9 million. That high-profile purchase placed Antonello’s surviving works firmly in the international spotlight and raised their perceived market value.
Lynda Albertson, chief executive of the ARCA art-crimes research association, told the Italian daily La Repubblica that the paintings’ fame works against any attempt to move them through legitimate markets. When thieves steal 4 Renaissance artworks of such renown, the challenge shifts almost immediately from physical recovery to identification in secondary channels.
“Stealing an Antonello may be far easier than selling one. If these are ordinary thieves, they will soon discover that — to their cost.”
Albertson added that highly recognizable pieces frequently change hands among criminals, sometimes serving as collateral in unrelated illicit dealings, making it extremely difficult to trace them through informal networks.
Investigation and Broader Context
The museum remained shut on Sunday while investigators collected physical evidence. Neither museum spokespeople nor the Carabinieri could be reached for immediate comment on the status of the inquiry.
The Ferragosto holiday, commemorating the Assumption of Mary, marks the peak of Italy’s summer vacation season. The Messina theft landed just days after police in Parma announced the recovery of three stolen paintings by Renoir, Cézanne, and Matisse valued at roughly 10 million euros ($11.5 million). Five individuals were detained in connection with the March 22–23 robbery at the Magnani Rocca Foundation in Parma province, underscoring a troubling pattern of museum break-ins across Italy this year.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where did the theft take place? The break-in occurred at the MuMe museum
